Okay, so if you’re all done pretending to be Irish for a day, erin go bragh-ing everybody at the bar with your green beer, let’s talk about food. You will notice the picture in the post is predominantly green, so no pinching.
According to health and nutrition experts, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If we skip any meal, they tell us, make sure it isn’t breakfast. And, apparently people are listening. Drive past the local doughnut shop on any morning and you’ll see dozens of people waiting in line, eager to start their day out right with a hearty, nutritious “breakfast.”
Luckily, my breakfasts don’t include doughnuts, although there are plenty of vegan doughnut recipes around. It’s just that making doughnuts breaks my rule of simple and quick. My staples consist of oatmeal; peanut butter and banana on toast; avocado on toast (recipe below); Kashi GoLean Cereal with added fruit; or yogurt, banana and cashews, all easily prepared, ready and cleaned up in less than 8 minutes.
I should branch out, try something new. And to remind me to do that I’ve collected a few ideas below. Even some of these recipes require more time and effort than I’m willing to expend in the morning. You, however, might be one of those those people who just loves, loves, loves to putter around the kitchen, all cheery and talking up a storm, in your robe, clanging pots and pans, at some ungodly hour of the morning.
You will note there are no quinoa recipes included because, I believe the expression is blech.
- Avocado on Toast (my version) – recipe below
- Avocado on Toast (TheKitchn)
- Peanut Butter and Banana (Me) — spread peanut butter on toast, add banana slices. Alternate method: Mash banana into peanut butter and spread on toast.
- Peanut Butter Toast and Fruit (Cadry’s Kitchen)
- Hummus on Toast with Avocado and Nooch (Cadry’s Kitchen)
- Peanut Butter and Banana Tortilla (Cadry’s Kitchen)
- Cinnamon Apple French Toast (VegetarianTimes) via TheKitchn
- Pumpkin Gingerbread Smoothie (OhSheGlows)
- Classic Green Monster (OhSheGlows)
- Pumpkin, Orange Juice and Yogurt (mine) — combine canned pumpkin, orange juice and vegan yogurt (vanilla) in a tall glass and stir. I sometimes add soy protein powder if I have it.
- Chocolate Almond Breeze Smoothies (LoveAndLemons)
- Fresh Peach Shake (Vegangela)
- Orange Julius Protein Shake (Vegangela)
- Vegan Omelet for One (FatFreeVegan)
- Tofu Omelets (ThePPK)
- Chickpea Omelets with Mushrooms, Greens and Vegan Swiss (TheVWord)
- Oatmeal, Grits (Polenta)
Avocado on Toast
Rough mash the avocado and mix with the onion. I like the taste of onion and avocado together, so that’s why I add it. It is not necessary to the recipe, though. Sprinkle lemon or lime juice and hot sauce to taste, add salt and mix.
Drizzle olive oil on the bread (I use two pieces). Broil in the oven (don’t put this in a toaster) on both sides until brown
Spread the avocado mix on the toast, sprinkle flaxseed on top
* Speaking of onion, I found this this tip for keeping an avocado fresh. (Uneaten portions of avocado don’t usually stay around me long enough to try this.)
And for the Irish in all of us…